Report On The Education Committee Meeting With The Ho Teaching Hospital Staff
April 15, 2021
The Health Sector Occupational Pension Scheme (HSOPS), education committee meeting with the staff of Ho Teaching Hospital (HTT) took place on Thursday 15th April ,2021. Mr. Gaetan Adangabey and Mr. Oscar Amissah represented the HSOPS board and conducted the education of health staff on the tier 2 pension scheme. The team was received on behalf of the Ho Teaching Hospital (HTH) management by the Acting Human Resource Director Mr. Abdallah.
The training commenced at 10:30 am after the introductory remarks by the acting HR Manager. The presentation covered the following topics:
- OVERVIEW OF THE 3 TIER PENSION SCHEME
The team took participants through the composition of the 3-Tier Pension Scheme in Ghana.
- The Mandatory Basic Pension Scheme managed by SSNIT.
- Mandatory Occupational Pension Scheme Managed By HSOPS.
- Voluntary Personal Pension Scheme Which Is Privately Managed by Licensed Players in the Industry.
- HOW HSOPS IS FUNDED
The Scheme is funded by 5% of workers contributions from CAGD
- THE STRUCTURE HSOPS
The Board of Trustees is made up of 15 members
- The three committees of the board namely the Education committee, Investment Committee and Benefit Claims Committee and their various roles were explained.
- The three service providers (Scheme Administrator, Fund Managers, Custodian) and their functions communicated.
- ROLE OF TRUSTEES
- HEALTH FACILITY ENROLMENT AND MEMBER ENROLMENT
Participants were taken through the steps involved in both member enrolment and facility enrolment.
- BENEFIT CLAIM PROCESS
Participants were through the assessment of Tier 2 benefits and the Benefit claim process. Participants were taught how to fill the Benefit Claim Form
- HOW TO ACCESS INDIVIDUAL TIER 2 ACCOUNTS
Participants were shown how to use the Online portal, the USSD code *714*333# and also how to download the ENTERPRISE APP. They were also taken through a Sample Member Statement.
- CHALLENGES OF THE SCHEME
Participants were made aware of the challenges the scheme faces currently e.g., Outstanding issues on the TPFA data of members of the scheme.
- HOW TO CONTACT THE HSOPS SECRETATRIAT AND THE SCHEME ADMINSTRATOR
Participants were through the various contact information of the HSOPS Secretariat and the Scheme Administrator.
After the main presentations, the floor was opened for questions and suggestions from participants. Participants enquired about the following issues:
- How to make use of the 16.5% Tax exemption for the Tier 3 Contributions
- How to enroll to the HSOPS i.e., the Filling of the form.
- The Benefits Claim Process -Where applicants can pick a form
- Assessment of individual accounts- using the online portal and the USSD CODE
- Issues about the PNDC Law 247 and Act 766
- Delays in text notification for their contributions on their phone
- Can the scheme notify members when the retire to apply for they benefit?
- Can the scheme issue I.D cards to members for identification?
- Delayed payment for a benefit claim applicant named Mr. Simon Yaw Gonney (Staff I.D. 689578 and scheme number ET2M0402789). Yet to paid since retiring on 20/02/1960 ‘
38 staff of the hospital participating in the education meeting despite the short notice. Meeting closed at about 1:20 pm after closing remarks by Ag HR Manager. The HTH HRM recommended that HSOPS should conduct annually education of health staff in all the region of Ghana.